Pages

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Adventures in Camping

So, I wrote about the first day we got to the campground, but the rest of my days have all run together so I'm going to try to tell you everything we did. It may be in the totally wrong order, though.

We had a blast in the swimming pool each day. Allie was her typical fearless self. I had to threaten time-out to keep her water wings on her. She's doing a great job of swimming underwater. I also finally convinced her to jump into the pool like a soldier instead of flopping in on her belly. Jaelyn seems more comfortable in the water. She was proud to show Baba how well she can float on her back. She still won't put her head below water. Caden is a dog paddling pro. He paddled up and down the pool and kept up with the girls without a problem. My dad seemed to especially have a fun time playing with the kids. He shot water at them out of his noodles at them and tossed them in the water.


I took the kids to the lake one day after breakfast. We took bread, but had trouble finding any fish. We tried 3 spots before we saw any. They were funny fish, though. They wouldn't eat the bread off the top of the water. They waited until it sunk to the bottom and then nibbled on it. We saw a bunch of tiny fish and one about 4" long fish. The kids begged me to get them fishing poles to fish. We are now the proud owners of 3 kiddie poles. Now we just need to find someone to take us fishing.

The kids did a pretty good job of entertaining themselves with the toys we brought and the projects my Mom purchased for them. They made wind chimes, dolls and mini-cars. We played games and even bought a couple of new ones at the big camping store Dad just had to go to.
We ended up with many bug bites on the kids, but none on me. I'm not quite sure how that happened since mosquitoes usually LOVE me. We kept the kids covered in bug spray and I hardly put on any. The ants were a big problem especially for Jaelyn, but she thought it was hilarious when I sat near an ant bed. For the record, an ant bite on your butt does not feel good! We also ended up with a few gravel scraped knees. Poor Jaelyn's was the worst the night we sat out to watch the fireworks. Allie and Jaelyn were running around in circles. Literally, as my dad and I were both telling them to stop, Jaelyn slipped and fell. For those of you who have never been around Jaelyn when she's injured, she's a bit of a drama queen. Everything is a huge production. When she gets a paper cut, she screams so loudly, you'd think she had her arm chopped off. I just pray she never has a major injury! Anyway, I'm sure people a mile away heard her screaming that night as I carried her back to the motor home.

Wathcing fireworks in our pajamas


Thankfully, we made it back in time to watch the fireworks show. It was a small show, but they did a really good job. Allie LOVED it. She was yelling "bravo" and cheering after each little display. I love her energy and excitement! That night was a bad night for bedtime. Allie and Caden both pitched horrible tantrums at the same time while I was tucking them into bed. They were exhausted. No one had napped and it was way past bedtime. After I got them to sleep, I promised myself we were leaving the next day.

That didn't happen, however because the next day was better. We went to Foley in the morning to the outlets to shop. Baba is a sucker for a "please, I want this" from the kids. The girls got beautiful new dresses and Caden got a new pair of flip flops. The kids did a really good job of shopping and I was much more relaxed. We had lunch at Longhorn (cross that one off the list) and then headed back to swim.

After dinner, we roasted marshmallows for the kids. I was shocked to discover that while my kids love marshmallows, they don't like them warmed up over a campfire (okay, it was a coleman stove, but you get the idea). What is the matter with them? At least I like marshmallows and I got to eat several extra because you can't let a warm, roasted marshmallow go to waste, can you?

Before the first bite

After the first bite

In addition to my stress over sleeping issues, I was also stressed about Allie. She wants to check everything out and the motor home has way too many buttons. She was also low on sleep and a tad bit sassy. She was driving my dad nuts. I was sure he was going to brain her or lock her in the underneath storage compartments the whole time. She did get him good one day. My mom let her sit in the drivers seat to watch a movie. She propped her feet up on the steering wheel and was perfectly still. My mom was watching her and said she must have twitched her toe and hit the horn. It blasted and got my dad was inside in a heartbeat. Allie also vanished immediately because it scared her. Mom says whenever she wants my dad she's going to honk the horn to get his attention because it sure worked for Allie. It might have been one of those, you had to be there moments, but it was truly hilarious.

The morning we were packing up, we needed something fun to entertain the kids. My mom had many rolls of gauze so we doctored them up.

We finally figured out eating arrangements, naps and bedtime the last day we were there. It's sad that it took us 3 days to figure everything out and then we had to come home. It would have been nice to stay for a few more days once everyone was adjusted. Overall, I think everyone had a great time and we'll be looking forward to the opportunity to camp again.

No comments:

Post a Comment