Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I'm Not Going on a Bike Ride Again

This afternoon seemed the perfect afternoon for a bike ride. It was cooler and overcast; so I asked the kids if they wanted to ride to the library after lunch and check out new movies. What was I thinking??? I really need my head examined. We live in a hilly area. To get out of our neighborhood, it's all downhill, but then you have to go up a big steep hill on the main road, down another hill and up yet another hill to get to the library. The kids finally gave up riding up the hills and walked. The down hills weren't any better because Allie and Caden are scared and ride their bikes at a snail's pace while Jaelyn flies. Talk about stress to keep everyone together on the sidewalk next to a main road. We actually did make it to the library just as the clouds disappeared and the sun came out (it's been overcast all day, mind you). It went from 80 to 95 in a matter of minutes, it seemed. After the library, we spotted turtles and frogs in the pond and played at the school playground before heading home. Just past the school, Allie got ahead of me and went flying down the boardwalk towards the pond. Thankfully, the railing stopped her since she couldn't seem to find her brakes. I didn't actually see the crash because of a curve and a clump of bushes, but I sure heard her cries afterwards. Her chin connected with the railing or maybe her handle bars that were bent totally forward. Poor Allie, but I made her get back on her bike and ride it again after I used brute force to fix the handlebars. She made it down the next big hill and then we cut through some houses instead of tackling the second hill. Ugghhhh!

To quote from Going on a Bear Hunt, I'm not going on a bike ride again...at least not until we find some level paths!

No comments:

Post a Comment