We took a day trip to Pennsylvania today. The last time we toured Gettysburg was in 2000 when Dan was at Aberdeen for his Officer Basic Course. We decided the kids are old enough to start learning some history and enjoy the museum rather then whining and complaining about being bored. And enjoy it, they did.

This museum wasn't here 10 years ago, or if it was, I don't remember it. The tour starts with a movie about the basic history of the Civil War and the Battle of Gettysburg. Then they take you to see the
Cyclorama of the battle field. The only other
Cyclorama I've seen is the one in Atlanta and this one was equally as impressive and amazing.

I knew the kids would get a kick out of seeing the guns and the cannons, but they really took their time and read the displays.
Jaelyn loved seeing the different flags. We learned about the importance of the flag bearer and why it was so important to protect your flag and capture the enemies flag.
Caden enjoyed playing with all the touch computer screens where he could see maps of the battlefield. I don't know that he really "got" what it was all about, but that's okay. Allie was drawn to the more household items. There was several displays of furniture with bullet holes and displays of camp life for the soldiers. Allie's favorite thing, she said, was a table runner that had been made out of an old hospital canvas tent. Someone had
crocheted lace around the edge and embroidered flowers on it.
I was captivated by the stories and the pictures. Over 600,000 men died fighting the civil war. I can't fathom that number. There was one wall of just pictures of soldiers who were killed at Gettsyburg. It reminded me of a staircase at the Holocaust Museum in D.C. I read one story of a dead soldier. The only identifying thing on him was a picture of 3 children. The story and description of the children circulated through newspapers. Eventually, his wife heard the story and was able to claim his body. How sad it must have been to live in those days, which of course leads me to think about today and Iraq and Afganistan. I won't go there, but in my opinion, it's time to bring our soldiers home.
After the museum, we had a picnic and then did part of the auto tour through the battlefiled.


The view from one of the observation towers
that looks like a wonderful trip
ReplyDelete