Pages

Saturday, August 2, 2008

What is a Ringmaster?

I've called myself a ringmaster for a long time as a joke. I looked up ringmaster on Wikipedia tonight. I think I actually meet most of the job qualifications.

The ringmaster or ringleader is often the most important and most-visible performer in the modern circus.

Not to toot my own horn, but I definitely think I am the most important performer with the kids in this household. Danny is an awesome stand-in a pinch though.
In the days before modern lighting equipment, it was the ringleader's job to literally "direct" the attention of the audience to the appropriate sections of the performance area, even as the previous act was being torn down or the next act was being set up in another area.
I might not actually direct an audience, but I do direct the clowns to stay in the "performance area" and to stay out of the areas being torn down and set up.
Most performances were mute by nature, accompanied by resounding brass music. Therefore, the ringleader's big, booming voice was important as it cut through the clutter and excitement to announce the act.

Sometimes, a booming voice, is the only thing that'll cut through the clutter and excitement around here.

The ringleader is responsible for maintaining the smooth flow of the show — or at least the appearance of it. He may be called upon to fill time if an act isn't ready for their entrance in time.
I love this one - responsible for the "appearance" of a smooth flow. I'm like a duck most days. Smooth and serene on the surface and paddling like crazy underneath.
A ringleader is traditionally attired in a bright, gaudy topcoat and tails — often red with gold trim — with a tall top hat.
I need to work on this one :).

3 comments:

  1. Kelly, I really do like your new format for your site. I got to read all the back posts. It's not raining here this evening so the internet is staying up for us. I hope you forget how long the trip home was soon so you'll come back to visit. I won't make you work so hard next time. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found an awesome site for backgrounds.

    http://www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/

    It's so easy, even I figured out how to do it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my word - this is too cute!!

    Adorable, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete