I've used vinegar for a very long time as "fibby juice." I've also used it as "sassy juice." It's always been a fight to get the kids to take it though. I recently had a discussion with some friends about how they use it effectively with their kids. I've learned the phrase "willing heart" and I'm using it. I no longer have fibby and sassy juice and instead am calling it what it is: vinegar. The other day, Jaelyn was being rude and was mad at me for getting onto her for something. She stuck her tongue out at me and I decided it was the perfect time to teach them about having a willing heart. I told Jaelyn she would get a dot of vinegar on her tongue. Of course, she clamped her mouth shut. I took her to her room and told her she could come out when she was ready to take her vinegar with a willing heart. It took her about 45 minutes to come out of her room (and thankfully it didn't escalate - it must have been after she'd eaten). She came out and said she had a willing heart. She took her dot of vinegar on her tongue, drank her water and went on her way.
We've had name calling issues, which is what has made me rethink how I use vinegar. This weekend, Caden called one of the girls a name and he earned a dot of vinegar. Man, he didn't want it and sat on the step just bawling for at least 10 minutes. He finally calmed down and said he was ready. He took the vinegar (gagged a little, poor guy), drank his water and went on his way. I haven't heard him call anyone a name again.
I'm really hoping my new approach will cut down on some of the issues I've been seeing. Thanks to all of my friends who shared their thoughts and ideas.
Okay, regular vinegar? Never heard of this. As a kid, I always got the soap in the mouth. My husband got a dot of hot sauce, and now he loves it. Go figure.
ReplyDeleteYep, just regular old vinegar. I know some who use little purse size spray bottles or eye droppers. I just use my finger to put a dot on their tongue
ReplyDelete