Usually people go out of their way to tell me my kids look alike or they look like me or Dan. I don't see all the resemblances, but I think people sometimes feel the need to make that physical connection when they know your kids are adopted. I had a different experience the other day from someone who didn't know the girls are adopted.
I was signing the girls up for their dance class at the gym (yea, they start Sept 16th - they are very excited). Angela, the owner, was watching the kids play as I was filling out the forms. She said "you know it's funny, but your kids don't look anything alike." She then went on to talk about how their features are all different while I debated whether or not to tell her why. I finally smiled and said "they don't look alike because two are adopted, but I'm not going to tell you which two." Jaelyn was sitting there and laughed before telling her that she and Allie are adopted. It was one of those funny little conversations that you play over and over in your head. In the almost 5 years the girls have been with us, I've never heard that comment.
What a creative way to talk about adoption! I wish I could use that conversation starter.
ReplyDeleteThat is a neat story. I have had people comment on my kids also since they all have different hair color.
ReplyDeleteThat is a neat story. I have had people comment on my kids also since they all have different hair color.
ReplyDelete