Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

My Night Away

I had a truly wonderful lunch with my friends, Nancy and Kathy, before heading to Destin yesterday. It was so good to catch up with them. It doesn't seem like that long ago that I worked with them, but it has been. Their youngest daughters were Jaelyn's age when I met them and they are college aged now. Time flies, they tell me!
The drive over was uneventful and I had perfect timing. I beat Dan to his hotel by about 2 minutes. We had an okay seafood dinner at Captain Dave's before looking for a few geocaches. I know, it's becoming an obsession, but it's fun and something to do together which is the most important thing to me. We found 3 geocaches - 2 were those teeny tiny wickedly small micro-caches and the other was at the top of a sand dune. Do you know how hard it is to climb a sand dune in sandals??? It was a fun date night.
Look at Dan's hand...that's a micro-cache!
One cache led us to this really cool plam tree. It looks like it fell over and then refused to die.
We walked on the beach after dinner. We saw some pretty cool sand castles. This one was my favorite ~ it's the onion domes. They remind me of Russia.There is NOTHING like Florida sand. There's white sand at the beach we go to in Delaware, but it's coarse and grainy. You can't sink you feet into it like this soft, white sand.

Today, Dan's morning started at 5 which means mine started at 5 as well when his alarm and his light in my eyes got me up. He went to school and I headed for a morning walk on the beach with my camera. I was hoping to collect a few sea shells, but I didn't find any good ones. I was tired, but I really enjoyed my early morning walk. Watching the rising sun sparkle off the water is one of those God things. How can you see that and not believe there's a God who created it?

This sand castle survived high tide last night.
The clouds were awesome this morning...I love this wave cloud mimmicing the water wave crashing on the beach.

Thankfully, the oil hasn't hit Destin and the beaches are pristine. Pensacola Beach has not faired as well.

After my walk, I picked up breakfast. I couldn't believe I had been in Pensacola for 5 days and had not even thought about Krispy Kreme once until I drove past it on the beach road.

The kids didn't seem to appreciate their hats as much as I thought they would....hmmm...maybe I should have brought them some donuts too :)!


1 comment:

  1. A solitary early morning walk in the beach (in summer)sounds absolutely blissful!

    ReplyDelete