Allie was up 4 times with bad dreams last night. One time, she woke me having a sleep tantrum. She was kicking her feet and hitting her pillow with her fists. She was mad. If I hadn't been so tired, it would have been funny. She wasn't able to tell me why she was so mad and didn't remember the dream in the morning. I would love to know what it was all about.
We haven't gone anywhere for 2 days and I decided we had to get out today. The plan was to go to the gym for exercise and play (and break for mommy) and then the library for new movies and books. We were doing good until it came time to put on coats. It's 37 degrees outside. Jaelyn has on a long sleeve shirt with a shirt sleeve shirt on top (that ironically says "my heart belongs to mom"). She decided she didn't want to wear a coat. I had her check her weather chart. Under 40 degrees equals heavy coat, but no, there was no way she was going to put it on. The tantrum began. She put on her heavy coat yesterday to get to play outside so I thought I could reward her into putting it on. I told them they could all get a lollipop at the gym if they wore their heavy coats. That didn't go over well and Jaelyn had a complete meltdown screaming she didn't want to wear her coat, but wanted a lollipop. Arghhh...I managed to get her out the door with a light weight coat in her hand, but told her no lollipop. The tantrum escalated in the car with her kicking the back of my seat and screaming about the lollipop. We dropped the movies that were due in the book drop and came straight home. Allie and Caden got a lollipop while Jaelyn went to her room. She earned vinegar on her tongue for the ugly way she was talking to me. I did manage to talk her down and held her while she cried (progress???), but she was still getting the vinegar which made her mad again. I left Jaelyn in her room by herself and got the play dough out for Allie and Caden. I also promised them a game of Monopoly Jr. very loudly. It took Jaelyn about 25 minutes to decide she had a willing heart, but she did finally come down calmly to have her vinegar and is now playing nicely with the other kids with play dough. I'm stressed and really need the gym, but I don't dare try that again!
She is so exhausting. I'm going back to my sticker chart for the coat! I feel like potty training all over again. Once I stopped the rewards, she reverted. Once I stopped the rewards for her coat, the fighting me began again.
I need a nap!
Kelly, Even if Jaelyn won't wear a coat she has the rule straight because she advised me to bring one on the plane trip because it's cold outside. Kids! Trust me, no matter how the act or what the disasters, if you continue to love them as much as you do, they will grow up just fine. One day you won't be able to remember anything but the good times. Love Mom
ReplyDelete