I met with the girls' teachers this evening. Miss Burris had a wonderful report about Allie. She's made HUGE strides since starting school and received 6 Outstandings on her citizenship. She got Satisfactories in "star sitter," "listens attentively," and "self-control." The first week of school, every categories would have been marked "needs improvement." Miss Burris says she can really see the changes in Allie, especially in her work. She is paying more attention and taking the time to do it right. There is no more refusing to do work. Allie loves to help her friends and is always asking Miss Burris if there's anything she can do to help her. Miss Burris said everyone who meets Allie comments on how cute and funny she is. She does have quite the personality. As far as her reading and math, she is right where she should be. It was a really good meeting, especially when I remember the anxiety I had when school started. Allie is really going to make it!
Jaelyn is doing much better this year than she did last year. Mrs. Meerholz says that Jaelyn has no trouble focusing and staying on task. She's not the chatty cathy she was last year. Well, maybe a little in reading, but I was shocked to learn she is in a below average reading group. It makes no sense to me at all. I think she's doing great for 1st grade, but apparently, not as great as they expect. The reading groups are fluid and they retest often so if she continues the improvement the teachers and I are seeing, they'll move her up. Honestly, I've seen a huge improvement from September to now with her reading. In September, I had to make her read to me and she needed lots of help. Now, she'll pick up a book and just read. She's not stumbling over words or taking several minutes to sound out each word. She's on level or ahead in Math. On the math assessment, she scored 22 out of 24 (one of those she got the answer correct but she didn't do it their way - the directions said to circle a number of objects. She did, individually, instead of 1 big circle so she missed it.)
Overall, I'm happy with the progress Jaelyn and Allie have made. They've worked hard and I'm proud of them!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment