We left home yesterday morning at 6:15. We dropped Dan's car at the airport in Baltimore and then headed South. The only word to describe the kids is awesome. They did so great. We were asked "are we in Florida yet" and "how much further," but there was no whining associated with the questions. The kids entertained themselves with magnets and coloring. I read them a Junie B. Jones book and we watched movies. We stopped mid-morning for gas and a potty break and then drove on until lunch. We found a Chick-fil-a in North Carolina with a play area for the kids. We spent an hour eating, playing and resting before loading back up. We took one more gas and bathroom break mid-afternoon. I was a little delirious at this point and let the kids each choose a candy bar. We bought a Kit Kat, 3 Musketeer, a Nestle Crunch, M&Ms and a Hershey Bar. We were nice and gave the M&Ms to Dan and then divided the other 4 candy bars between us for a taste test. I had the kids rate each candy bar from 1-5 to decide who liked what best. Jaelyn and Allie's favorite by far was the 3 Musketeer. Caden loved the Hershey Bar best. I, of course, liked them all and had quite a sugar high from the chocolate and the coke I drank.
We stopped for dinner at Cracker Barrel in South Carolina. At that point, we were just a few hours from Atlanta. The plan was to drive to Newnan to spend the night, but as we got into Atlanta, we made the decision to keep going. The kids were doing great still. The sugar didn't effect their behavior at all. I am amazed we didn't have any whining, crying or complaining. They were as ready to get to Florida as we were. We put the kids into their pajamas, took away their toys and turned on a movie. Caden made it until about 9 before he passed out. Allie fell asleep while I was telling silly stories, but Jaelyn was too tired and excited to sleep. I let her watch Kipper and finally about 10:30 she told me to turn the movie off. We heard a few moans from her and she was out.
The last 2 1/2 hours from Montgomery were so long. We made it to Pensacola around midnight their time, 19 hours after we left our house. The kids all woke up when we pulled up on my parents drive-way. We spent about fifteen minutes bouncing around before tucking everyone into bed.
I'm tired this morning, but the kids seem to be doing well. Allie and Caden slept till 7:30 this morning (8:30 our time so 2 hours later than they usually do) and Jaelyn stayed in bed until 8:30. We spent the day with Dan's family. They didn't know we decided to drive through so we were able to surprise them this morning. Dan managed a nap at his parents house, but no naps for me. He's going out with his pal tonight so I'll be in bed early to catch up on some sleep. It's going to be an early to bed night for everyone tonight!
We stopped for dinner at Cracker Barrel in South Carolina. At that point, we were just a few hours from Atlanta. The plan was to drive to Newnan to spend the night, but as we got into Atlanta, we made the decision to keep going. The kids were doing great still. The sugar didn't effect their behavior at all. I am amazed we didn't have any whining, crying or complaining. They were as ready to get to Florida as we were. We put the kids into their pajamas, took away their toys and turned on a movie. Caden made it until about 9 before he passed out. Allie fell asleep while I was telling silly stories, but Jaelyn was too tired and excited to sleep. I let her watch Kipper and finally about 10:30 she told me to turn the movie off. We heard a few moans from her and she was out.
The last 2 1/2 hours from Montgomery were so long. We made it to Pensacola around midnight their time, 19 hours after we left our house. The kids all woke up when we pulled up on my parents drive-way. We spent about fifteen minutes bouncing around before tucking everyone into bed.
I'm tired this morning, but the kids seem to be doing well. Allie and Caden slept till 7:30 this morning (8:30 our time so 2 hours later than they usually do) and Jaelyn stayed in bed until 8:30. We spent the day with Dan's family. They didn't know we decided to drive through so we were able to surprise them this morning. Dan managed a nap at his parents house, but no naps for me. He's going out with his pal tonight so I'll be in bed early to catch up on some sleep. It's going to be an early to bed night for everyone tonight!
WOW KELLY AND DAN!!! IMPRESSIVE! I was pulling my hair out on a 4 hour trip!
ReplyDelete