Pages

Monday, June 16, 2008

Getting Strict on Discipline

I used to be really strict with my discipline. I've loosened up a lot in the last year and feel like in some ways I've totally lost control. I'm not saying my kids are bad, because they aren't. They are really good, but we do have issues with listening, following directions and keeping our hands to ourselves.. We've been doing our tickets and have kind of given up time-outs. Today, I decided to back up and go back to time-outs. Tickets work with Caden, but the girls don't really care them. Sure, they love to earn them, but losing them is no big deal. We also only count tickets once a week so the consequence isn't really immediately felt.

Allie hit my leg today because she was mad at me. It was more of a tap, but still...so I put her in time-out. She did not like that at all. It took a while to get her to sit on the step I told her too and then she decided to spit at me. Spitting and sticking out tongues is also becoming a problem. I then gave her a cup with a line and told her she couldn't get out of time-out until she had sat quietly for 5 minutes and she had filled the cup up with spit to the line (thanks for the awesome out of the box idea, Kim). It took about 25 minutes for Allie to sit quietly on her step for 5 minutes and to fill her cup with spit. She got up, apologized and went on her merry way.

Next was Jaelyn's turn. She got mad at Allie while coloring and threw a book across the table. I told her to pick up the book. She refused. I warned that she could pick up the book or sit in time-out and then pick up the book. She again refused. I carried her to time-out and for the next 20 minutes we played the game you see on the Super Nanny...mom puts child in time-out. Child runs from time-out. Mom chases child and puts child back in time-out. Repeat over and over until child stays. In the end, Jaelyn jumped out of time-out and ran into my arm. She fell back onto the step and started yelling at me that I hurt her on purpose. I did not push or touch her. She did it all herself, but was way too out of control. She continued screaming so I took her to her room and closed the door. That made her really mad. She continued for about 3 minutes and then all was quiet. I opened her door and she was on her tummy reading a book and getting herself calmed down. I told her to finish her book and then go downstairs and pick up the book off the floor. She had her quiet 5 minutes in her room instead of the step and them came downstairs and not only picked up the book, but she also cleaned up all the books on the craft table and got a towel to wipe down our dining room table. She finished the job happy and ready for the rest of the day.

So, first morning of following directions done, many more mornings and afternoons to follow!

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh, I like the spit in the cup idea...making a major mental note for THAT one! :) Its a buckle-down on a discipline kind of day around here, too.

    ReplyDelete