Pages

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Figured Out Allie's Rash

Last week Allie was fine, but the weekend and week before, she was just off. She said she didn't feel bad and she didn't have a fever, but she was more emotional and just touchy. I remember having to practically drag her from the bus stop everyday where normally she beats me home. A friend suggested I google 5th disease (also known as slap cheek) and she was right. Allie has it, or had it, I should say. Once the rash breaks out, she's no longer contagious, but the incubation could be anywhere from 4-21 days. Now I'm watching the other kids for signs of fever, joint pain and a rash. It apparently spreads very easily and is very contagious. Allie is definitely my murphy's law child. She had roseola as a baby with a 105 degree fever right after we moved to Virginia (that was scary), para-orbital cellulitus (uncommon and such a random thing to get), and now we can add 5th disease to the list. If someone is going to get it in our family, it's going to be Allie.

1 comment:

  1. Hope the other's don't get it too. Slap cheek is not too uncommon but it usually goes undiagnosed. It went around most of my class when I was teaching kindergarten. I would walk into class in the morning, look for the red cheeks and think "oh dear - there goes another one!"

    ReplyDelete