Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Spring is Springing Towards Summer

The beginning of last week, we had to dig out our heavier coats again for 40 degree weather in the mornings.  This week, we've had to dig out our shorts and tank tops.  It's quite a quick transition, but I am loving the warm weather.  I especially love seeing my plants coming alive.  Unfortunately, not all of them made it back from our harsh winter.  My sweet smelling lavendar is gone.  I'm hopeful my jasmine and hibiscus will bud out soon.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  Today, Caden and I bought yellow lantana for our front walk, a huge fern for the front steps and yummy strawberry plants.

Buds from the purple tree in our front yard.  I have no idea what it's name is, but I love it's light pink flowers.

Baby black eyed susans - we bought 2 almost dead 1 gallon black eyed susans the summer we moved here from the last chance table at Home Depot for $1 each.  They came back and have spread and multiplied.  I have baby black eyed susans in all of our flower beds from my original $2 purchase.  They are so pretty all summer long.

Another rescue from the almost dead table at Home Depot - stella de oro day lillies.

I am fascinated by my clematis vine.  It looks like a jumble of dead vines during the winter that should be cut off and thrown away and then in the spring, new growth sprouts out from the dead, dried up vines and produces beautiful, vibrant pink flowers. 

The perfect spring teacup!  If I were a garden fairy, I'd drink my tea from hydrangea sprouts.

My hosta row - a friend dug them up out of the woods behind her house.  What started out as 2 small hostas are now a row of 5 medium hostas.  They are so pretty and lush in the summer. (please ignore the need for new mulch - that's next week's project)

My future pears!

2 comments:

  1. Your tree is a (decorative) crabapple, maybe.
    No fruit though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. or a purple leaf plum...

    I loved reading your newest posts and catching up. I've got my spa money!

    Love you,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete