Caden and I had some time to wait at the doctor's office today (more on that in a minute) so I pulled a children's book off the shelf and had him sound out words. He is sooo ready to read. He very easily sounded out words like: big, it, up, sent, still, tree, me, be, tip, top. By the end of the book, he said "big" everytime I pointed to it with no sounding it out in his head hesitation. BIG - his first sight word. He was pretty proud of himself.
We were at the doctor's office because Caden's allergies have gone crazy and his ear started really hurting him last night. He has an ear infection. None of my kids have ever had one so this is a new experience. We will continue to put the frozen lima beans on it as we did last night and give him tylenol until the antibiotics kick in. Poor little man...I think we need to move to the dry southwest, not the pollen infested east coast.
There's a great book called "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" that you could do with Caden if he's really eager. It takes 15-20 minutes a day. I used it with all 4 of my kids when they were showing interest. It's rewarding to see them start to read the passages in the book. It's very "rote" but teaches them how to read. We always quit around lesson 70 and they had the basics.
ReplyDelete