Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

Learning to Read

My dear friend Jennifer recently shared with me about a program she did with all of her kids to teach them to read. I'll have to discuss with her why she just now decided to share this nugget of wisdom with me. I have had 2 other kids who needed help learning to read, you know ;-), but for now, I headed to the library and checked out her book. It turns out it's the same program I used when I tutored at Ferry Pass and when I taught at Montclair. Caden and I have been doing a few lessons a night and if I forget, he'll come and get me to "do our lessons." He loves it and is doing really well. He has a few site words and is getting faster and faster at phonics. Pretty soon, he'll be doing all of the decoding in his head. His kindergarten teacher is going to love me because he's going to be reading on his own by the end of the summer or maybe she'll hate me because he'll be way ahead and need to be challenged.

Here are a couple of short video clips Dan shot the other night of his "lesson."

2 comments:

  1. Would you care to share the name of this book? I'd love to check it out for Naomi...looking in advance of course, she has plenty of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I'm gonna need the name of this too, cuz my girl struggles - or really, she just looks at the first letter and guesses, because more work would be boring.

    ReplyDelete