Pages

Friday, August 28, 2009

Yummy Frittata

We are giving my parents "bean" diet a try. That's not really a good name for it though. He's eating healthy, no processed foods, and adding a serving of beans three times a day. He's lost 8 pounds so far. I'm proud of him. Anyway, I'm trying to be creative with recipes. I have a new shrimp dish to try tonight and for breakfast, I made a frittata out of a Cooking Light cookbook. It was really good...so I'm sharing. I did modify the recipe since it had corn and he's not eating starches. In place of corn, we added diced bell pepper, onion, mushrooms and spinach to get in a serving of veggies at breakfast.

Smoked Sausage Fritatta

4 oz turkey sausage, quartered lengthwise and diced
1-1/2 cups chopped veggies
1 lg egg
4 lg egg whites
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
fresh cilantro for garnish

Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add turkey sausage to pan; saute 4 minutes or until browned. Stir in veggies and ground red pepper; reduce heat to medium low.

Combine egg and egg whites in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Drizzle egg mixture over sausage mixture in pan. Cover and cook 8 minutes or until almost set. Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese and cilantro. Cover and let stand 2 minutes. Cut into 4 wedges.

I froze half of this. I hope it reheats okay. We are testing egg dishes so Dan can have some variety in quick, easy breakfasts when he goes back to work in 2 weeks and has to start leaving the house at 5 again. I'm not getting up at 5 to cook him breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment