Jennifer, I bought that one very cheaply around Halloween the first year we lived here. The farmer assured me it would make it through the winter. I planted it and it immediately lost it's leaves and died back. It made it though...my point...don't wait till next spring. Buy one in early fall and let it's roots get nice and snuggly for next spring.
I had about a dozen of the dinner plate hibiscus planted around my porch. They were so beautiful! Then we rented the house out, and our tenant chopped most of them down because he was afraid snakes would live in them. Our neighbor was afraid for the hibiscus, so she came and dug them up (what was left of them) and planted them in her yard! When we moved back in, I didn't have the heart to ask for the plants back. Now that I see them bloom in her yard though......I really miss them!!!
My favorite was the rose-colored ones. I have a couple light pink ones left here, but that's it.
Kelly, that is BEAUTIFUL! What kind of flower is it?
ReplyDeleteLove your title too. So appropriate. :)
That reminds me of my hibiscus buds. Any chance that's what it is?
ReplyDeleteYes, it's a fushia dinner plate hibiscus.
ReplyDeletebeautiful! we had them at our old house. I hope to plant some here next spring.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great picture!!
ReplyDeleteJennifer, I bought that one very cheaply around Halloween the first year we lived here. The farmer assured me it would make it through the winter. I planted it and it immediately lost it's leaves and died back. It made it though...my point...don't wait till next spring. Buy one in early fall and let it's roots get nice and snuggly for next spring.
ReplyDeleteI had about a dozen of the dinner plate hibiscus planted around my porch. They were so beautiful! Then we rented the house out, and our tenant chopped most of them down because he was afraid snakes would live in them. Our neighbor was afraid for the hibiscus, so she came and dug them up (what was left of them) and planted them in her yard! When we moved back in, I didn't have the heart to ask for the plants back. Now that I see them bloom in her yard though......I really miss them!!!
ReplyDeleteMy favorite was the rose-colored ones. I have a couple light pink ones left here, but that's it.