Pages

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Sneaky, Sneaky Brownies

Can you keep a secret??? You can't say anything in front of the kids. I was sneaky, sneaky last night. I've been wanting a copy of a cookbook called Deceptively Delicious and found it for $5 the other day. All the recipes have pureed veggies snuck into them. I've decided it's time to start getting veggies into the incredible non-vegetable eating boy.

I tried my first recipe last night - Brownies with....(take a deep breath) spinach and carrots!!! It only took about 25 minutes to make the purees and then I was all set. The carrot puree just smelled like carrots, but the spinach, ack! It looked like what my lawn mower spits out on a pretty summery day and smelled much worse. To get 1/2 a cup of spinach puree, I used almost an entire bag of spinach so there's a lot in every bite.
The finished product....The batter had an odd dark green tinge to it, but the brownies look perfectly normal once they were cooked.And the verdict....Y-U-M-M-Y...by my standards too!!!! BTW, my mom used to let me have dessert for breakfast every now and then growing up. It was a real treat. I was so excited about the brownies that after cereal, I let the kids have one. I got away with taking pictures by telling the kids I wanted to send them to Baba to share with her I was passing on the tradition.The Incredible Non-Veggie Eating Boy eating spinach and carrots AND LIKING THEM! Sneaky, Sneaky!

Next up, macaroni and cheese with cauliflower. A friend shared another book, The Sneaky Chef, that I bought on ebay last night. I can't wait till it gets here. It supposedly has better recipes than the first one and explains how to make the purees better.

1 comment:

  1. The look of absolute delight on Jaelyn's face - too funny!

    ReplyDelete