Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

The Week

Time is going to fly this year, I guess.  I can't believe it's already Friday.  This is the first time all week I've sat down in front of the computer. 

Monday morning, I had a conference with Jae's two teachers.  Her main teacher is Mrs. A.  She has her for homeroom, reading, spelling, language arts and social studies.  Mr. K is the other fifth grade teacher.  She has him for math and science.  It was a good meeting.  It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things why Jaelyn is like she is.  I'm sure a lot of her issues are related to possibly being exposed to things in-utero or spending 15 months in an orphanage.  That first year is so important with brain development.  Anyway, like I said it doesn't matter, but it does help to be more understand and help to have an overall picture of the child...which is why I really wanted to share Jaelyn's story with her teachers.  I think a lot of the behavior problems we were having was the constant sub in the room.  This week was a normal week and she has had good behavior all week!  Yay!  She's still talkative and has some focus issues.  We are tweaking her medicine dosage.  We'll give it a couple weeks and see if it helps.  As far as school work, she's brought home many graded assignments and I haven't seen anything lower than an 85 which is a B here.  She's also doing her homework more independently.  That in itself is a big stress remover for me.

I ended up at the doctor's office on Tuesday.  I hurt my neck way back in 2003 for the first time.  Since then, I've tweaked the same spot over and over.  Sometimes, I know exactly what I did, sometimes, like Sunday, I have no idea.  I'm fine in the morning, but by the end of the day, I can't turn my head.  It's happening more and more.  Ms. B (my FNP) thinks I have arthritis in my neck.  She ordered x-rays and gave me a different muscle relaxer.  Flexerall doesn't seem to help.  Since I was there, I mentioned my hip flexor that has been bothering me since Spring.  That should have healed by now.  We did x-rays of it too.  I have physical therapy appointments for both in two weeks.  I'm about to hit 40 and I guess it's time for me to start breaking. 

I think I've worked out my volunteer times at school.  All the teachers are going to use me in reading groups.  I really enjoyed my reading groups last year so I'm looking forward to it!  I'll be at school pretty much all day Wednesdays and Thursdays.  I feel really blessed that at this time in our lives I can be so involved with the kids.  I'm in school, I know their teacher and friends.  It's a good thing and I'm taking full advantage while they still want me there and we can afford for me to be there. 

Our extracurricular activities are going well.  Dan takes the kids to karate.  They went 4 days this week.  Allie has decided she doesn't want to quit.  We are going to give her a little bit longer and if she continues to want to participate, we'll let her test for her green belt.  They love weapons training.  Next Thursday, they are having a fun night...a board breaking pizza party. 

I can see weekly gains in Jaelyn's gymnastics.  She was born to be a gymnast.  She's getting more control, her legs are straighter, her toes are pointed harder.  She was doing round offs off the high balance beam last night without a spot.  Everyone else needed Coach to help.  I keep telling her if she keeps working hard, I can envision her being good enough to compete one day.  I see Jaelyn frustrated in so many things that are hard for her.  I'm glad she's found something she can be good at.  It's a confidence booster.

Allie LOVES her cheer and tumble class.  I was never a cheerleader; so maybe I don't get it, but it's great to see the joy and happiness come out of her like it does.  She actually listens and focuses even though it's in the evenings when her ADHD medicine has worn off.

I think Dan's knee is mostly healed.  I don't know if he's jogging on it, but he's doing other exercising on it and says it doesn't hurt anymore.  I tell you what, falling down a mountain can be dangerous to your health.  I'm still thankful it was his knee he hit and not his head!

No comments:

Post a Comment