We are almost done with our second week of school. Is it Christmas break yet? Seriously! This might turn into a tough year. It started off so well too.
Jaelyn is being a toot. In 7 days of school, she's brought home 3 "think sheets." Two for talking and the third was for saying something after the teacher specifically told her not to say it again. Blatant disrespect as far as I'm concerned. Losing her electronics for two days hasn't worked. We are adding time-out in room, loss of after school activities and sentences. I know that last one is a little outdated, but it's worked for decades. It's worth a try. On a work front, she's actually doing well so far. She's doing homework independently which is a HUGE thing. She doesn't like that she is required to read for 30 minutes every night, but she has dealt with it okay. We both like her teachers. Ms. A told me she "has a poor work ethic" - ugh, but it was the perfect way to open up a conversation about her history and struggles in school. Mr. K is very understanding of the ADHD (dealt with it with his own children). I'm going to give them a few more weeks to get to know her and for her to settle down and then we'll be filling out a questionaire for the doc and hoping for a possible dosage increase on her medicine.
Allie is doing really well, I think. She hasn't had a lot of homework yet, and there are no grades in powerschool. I chatted with her teacher today. She didn't mention any problems; so I'm going with "no news is good news."
Caden likes his class. Thankfully 8 kids didn't show up, so his class only has 21 2nd graders. I volunteered for the first time today in his class. I got hugs from all his friends last year. They were excited to see me. I love working in the school. His teacher was doing reading placement testing while I was there. Caden tested at a 3rd grade 2nd month level. Go Caden!
I'm ready to get my times set up and start my literacy groups in the girls' classrooms. Caden's teacher wants me to work with a new ESL student from Russia (kind of cool - maybe he can teach me a few words). It's good to get back to our routine, but it's kind of exhausting too.
The kids start nunchaku, as Dan called it, training in Karate tonight...I'll get Dan to take some video. Can you imagine 6 or 7 kids swinging around nunchucks. What could go wrong?!?!?!
We have had a rough year too. I wonder if it is the age.
ReplyDelete