Pages

Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Spirit of Giving

I've been practically beating it into my kids' heads that Christmas is not about getting. It's about giving. It's about the greatest gift God gave us. I'm not always sure I'm getting through as I hear "Mommy I want this" and "Mommy I want that." It seems constant.

Jaelyn showed real generosity today. I told the kids I would give them each $2 and take them individually to Dollar Tree so they could buy a present for their siblings. I took Jaelyn today. Before we went, she made a list of people she wanted to buy a present for and emptied her piggy bank out. I'm so proud of her. She took her time and found the perfect gift for everyone on her list - including me! The kids have noticed that everyone else's stocking have presents in them, even Daddy's, but Mommy's is empty.

1 comment:

  1. Thats awesome! I too have been doing the same thing with my kids as well. I have decided that Christmas is too much about "me, me, me" and less about others. I decided to take this year by the ropes and let the kids know that this year "Santa" would be visiting others this year instead of us. My kiddos (6, 3, 2 and 3 months) didn't of course like this in the beginning. But for some reason, they have enjoyed finding old toys, books and clothes to donate. Using their allowance to purchase gifts for others, and asking for only one small gift this Christmas, rather then a page of things. My mom and sister are upset with me because of this. They think they should get more and I am depriving them. But I want them to get the true meaning of Christmas. Giving is much more rewarding then receiving. And I think my kiddos just might have figured that out!

    Thanks for this great post.

    Kiley Rodrigues
    Rhode Island
    www.kileyandjason.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete