Pages

Monday, July 20, 2009

Day 2 - Washington DC


Dan and I have planned several trips to DC for the kids, but for one reason on the other, we've never made it. I had incentive with company. We got a little bit later start than we planned, but when you think about the energy it takes to get a couple of kids out the door (and we had 7), I think we did pretty well. We drive south of Baltimore to the DC Metro. That was a big hit with the kids. They all wanted to stand and hold on to the poles. We started out wanting to see where the money gets printed. That would have been fun if there had been any tickets. Next we walked up towards the National Mall and saw the Washington Monument. Again, it was fun to look at from the outside, but had there been tickets (we didn't even try), the view from the inside would have been really cool. I've been to Washington 3-4 times in my life and I've never gone up the Washington Monument. We are going back this fall and I'm going up! :p

Lunch was a hot dog from a street vendor. Paying $4 for a hot dog was a little tough, but it was all part of the experience. What did we do next? Honestly I don't remember...in random order, I know we walked down the reflecting pool (yelling at the kids to avoid the goose poop the whole time), saw the Lincoln Memorial, went in the American History Museum and the Natural History Museum. Both of those were a lot of fun, but kind of crowded. We went to National Arboretum (was that the name). I loved that and would have loved time to enjoy the plants without keeping track of the kids. They had a wonderful children's garden that was a huge hit. We walked within view of the capital, the White House and the Jefferson Memorial, but my legs were tired. No one seemed to want to get closer; so I didn't suggest it. We ended the night with a metro ride to Union Station for dinner and then headed back to the cars. We didn't get home till around 11. My kids slept till 8 the next morning...a record, I think.

Is it okay to admit I was stressed the entire time about keeping track of the kids? They picked buddies and for the most part did a great job of staying with their buddy. There were just a few times of kids running ahead or lagging behind that were freaking me out. I also had our jogging stroller. Brody enjoyed that the most :p. Overall though, it was a great day with many funny moments. My favorite, which will become a lifelong joke, I'm sure, was Jennifer calling us a Mormon family...Rich with his 2 wives and 7 kids. We were quite the spectacle, I must admit. We also almost lost Jackson on the way back to the car when he jumped off the metro at one of the stops. I saw him and grabbed him to drag him back on very quickly. That could have been bad.
Did anything else funny or memorable happen, Jen? If so leave a comment and I'll add it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment