Pages

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Our First Week of Summer

This has been a fun week.

Caden and Allie started swim lessons on Monday while Jaelyn and I sat on the edge of the pool and watched. Caden is in level 1 and Allie's in level 2, thankfully at the same times. I'm excited to see Allie attempting to learn actual strokes.

Tuesday, we grocery shopped in the morning. I was scared to take all 3 kids to the commissary. I made Jaelyn a scavenger hunt bingo board to find things as we shopped. Jaelyn enjoyed the game, but the other two were more interested in running in circles and hopping from one tile square to another. They thankfully, calmed down at the check (with the help of yogos to munch on) and received 2 compliments. Crazy. We spent the afternoon at the pool. I love going to the base pool. It's practically empty. There were a few teenagers playing on the diving board, but we had the rest of the big pool and the kiddie pool to ourselves. We stayed about 3 hours, which was probably 1 1/2 hours too long. Caden ended up with a pink back - he inherited his skin from his parents, poor guy. With the help of vinegar in his bath and aloe vera, the pink was gone the next day. The girls are already developing their deep brown tans - even with 70 sunblock on. Everyone slept so well that night.

Jaelyn is working on staying dry at night again. She's gone to bed without pull-ups about 5 nights now. Tuesday night was the 1st night she stayed totally dry. I would love to take the pull-up money out of my budget!

Wednesday, we headed to Target first thing to buy a swim shirt for Caden. The girls somehow ended up with new bathing suits too. I guess if we spend several days a week at the pool, they should have 2 suits each. Swim lessons went well again. The level 1 class is so large that they are making a level 1/2 split class and moving some of the more advanced kids to it. Caden is the smallest of the bunch. The kids got to jump off the diving board at the end of class. Some of the kids in Caden's class, trembled as they walked down the long scary board. Caden hopped right up, did a little jump at the end and went flying into the life guards arms. He has no fear of the water. After lessons, we had a picnic under a huge oak tree and then went back to the pool. He jumped right in to 3 feet of water before I got his water wings on. I heard the splash and jumped into the pool to get him. Talk about get used to the cold water quickly. He scared me, but it didn't phase him. Jaelyn enjoys floating around on a noodle and walking in the shallow end. She has no desire to learn how to swim. One day I'll push her, but for now, I've learned pushing is not the way to get her to do something.

Today, we started with a trip to the orthodontish for our consult. Jaelyn is getting her braces on July 9th. She got spacers today. She was tough and didn't cry or wince at all. She keeps telling me they feel funny, but with the help of tylenol, hasn't complained about them hurting. We are heading to our last day of swim lessons for the week (still have 2 more weeks to go) and then our babysitter, Anna, is meeting us at our house and I'm escaping for 4 hours of lonely time. Dan used to suggest to the kids that I needed "alone time" when I was stressed and would take them off my hands for a while. Somehow, Jaelyn turned "alone time" into "lonely time." So, I'm going to spend my lonely time with a neighbor at lunch and then wander around the mall or spend time with a book at Barnes and Nobles. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment