Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Jaelyn's Update

After meeting with the school staff the beginning of February, I made her a pediatric appointment to talk with Dr. K about her focus issues.  Her teachers filled out evaluation forms and they all said the same thing.  Jaelyn has trouble focusing, paying attention and staying on task.  Dr. K gave us the official ADHD diagnosis that I've been asking teachers about since she was in Kindergarten.  Always before, I've gotten the "she's just social" or "she's just a little bit immature" responses.  It's so nice to finally have teachers tell me that they see what I see and it is becoming a problem.  We started Jaelyn on medicine Tuesday.  It was a rough morning.  Jaelyn doesn't take medicine well and it wasn't pretty trying to get the capsule or the sprinkles, after I cut it open, in her.  It was frustrating because Jaelyn could swallow pills.  A couple of years ago, I did some reading online and you might remember my jello and tic tac method to learn to swallow pills.  I went to the store Tuesday afternoon and armed myself with supplies.


Between the three kids, they swallowed half a container of tic tacs and 3 cups of jello.  Jaelyn worked very hard and I was so proud of her for trying.  She can do anything.  I truly believe she can, but she's scared of failure and refuses to try. 



She's taken the medicine like a champ since then.  She came home yesterday and told me she thought it helped her pay attention better.  We'll go back to Dr. K in a month and go from there.  I meet back with the school March 1st.

1 comment: