Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Feeling Rather Proud of Myself

I'm handy and I like to fix things.  I'm also cheap.  I hate to pay someone to do something that I can do myself.  All that brings me to last night when, at 10:00 pm, Dan and I discovered our washing machine wasn't draining.  Dan pulled out the washer (with the dryer stacked on top - yea for Dan's muscles).  We pulled the drain hose off the back to make sure it was clear.  I might have gotten soaked and Dan might have had to run so I didn't return the favor.

Anyway, after reading online we determined it must be the drain hose inside the washer or the pump that was clogged up.  We decided I'd take the back off today and see if I could reach the drain hose and clean it out.  If that didn't work, I'd have to call a repairman.   It took a little trial and error this morning, but I finally got the back off the washer and got the inside hose loose.  I used a combination of a clothes hanger and a pipe cleaner.  EWWW is the only thing to describe what came out and double EWWWW describes how it smelled.  Ugh. Anyway, I ran a rinse cycle and it seems to be draining like a champ now.  I'm running a trial load and then I'll put it all back together feeling triumphant and proud that at least I can fix a washing machine, if nothing else in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment