Pages

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Asthma

Most normal people probably don't want their kids to have asthma, but honestly, I'm glad to hear someone use the word.  Since Caden was a baby, he's been sick with a yucky cough every winter.  We would go back and forth to the pediatrician and they would always say "upper respiratory infection."  It gets really frustrating, to the poing that I don't want to take him to the doctor.  He's been coughing horribly for the last week and a half and I finally took him to Dr. K tonight.  I should stop and say I LOVE Dr. K.  She's wonderful.  When I think about her treatment of Allie and discovering the weird CO2 thing...not every doctor would have sent us for a sleep study following an ADHD diagnosis...she's just awesome.  Back to the story, tonight, she must have spent 5 minutes listening to Caden breathing in and out.  She listened to his crackling, wheezing cough.  She asked me about his history and finally said "this feels like asthma to me."  So many doctors have asked "does he have asthma?" but no one has ever said "this is asthma" to me.  It's a relief to have an idea of why he goes through this every winter.  After a breathing treatment, we were sent to the pharmacy to pick up three medicines:  prednisone, albuterol and flovent.  I'm praying we have a peaceful night.  After the long coughy nights he's been having, we could use a good night's sleep.

1 comment:

  1. i am SO GLAD you're getting some real direction here! praying!

    ReplyDelete