Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

It's Soup Weather...Not Really

But I wish it were! All winter, I long for the days that I can turn on my grill and towards the end of summer, I long for bubbling casseroles in the oven and steaming crock pots filled with soup. I gave in to my desire for soup yesterday and it was so good, I want to share the recipe.

I tried a copycat recipe for Chili's Southwest Vegetable Soup. I've never had Chili's soup; so I have no idea if this was close or not. It was so good. Allie ate 2 bowls and asked to have left overs for dinner tonight. The best thing about this soup is I only had to buy the chilies. Everything else was in my fridge or pantry. I did add chopped up chicken that I'd cooked the night before for a little protein.

Southwest Vegetable Soup

3-4 cups chicken broth (depending on how thick you want the soup)
1 cup water
1 cup canned kidney beans
1 cup frozen yellow corn
1 cup frozen cut green beans
1 4 oz can diced green chilies
1/2 cup diced onions
1/2 cup tomato sauce
6 corn tortillas, minced
1 tsp chili powder
1 dash garlic powder
(and I added a dash of cumin because I think anything that has southwest in the name should have cumin!)

Combine all soup ingredients in a large saucepan (or crock pot) over high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, about an hour or until the soup has thickened and tortilla pieces have mostly dissolved. Garnish with grated cheese and crumbled corn tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment