Tuesday, May 6, 2008
For Those Around Our Children
We've talked more with the kids this weekend about becoming a foster family. I'm writing this mainly for the people who are around or talk to our kids on a regular basis. We have not mentioned adoption to the kids and we don't plan on it until a placement becomes an adoption placement. We want to protect them as much as we can. We've explained all the reason why a grown-up cannot take care of a child and why the state might have to help. It's actually been good because I've had some good discussions with Allie and Jaelyn about their birthmothers. As far as our children know, we will be giving a safe, loving home to a child that needs one for as long as he needs it. We keep emphasizing that it's temporary and that the child will go back to his regular home. I think Jaelyn gets it as much as she can. She keeps asking me "when are we going to get our baby to love on?" If/when a placement because an adoptive placement, we'll talk to the kids about it then. I just want Jaelyn and Allie to know that they are permanent. Adoption is permanent and they aren't going anywhere. So anyway, if you see/talk with the kids, we would prefer you not mention adopting a baby, but instead use the term "fostering." Thank you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment