Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Thanksgiving

What's the one word that pops in your head when you think of Thanksgiving?  For me, without question, that word is FOOD.  I LOVE turkey and dressing, sweet potato and green bean casseroles, pumpkin pie.  It makes my mouth water just thinking about it.  There's one recipe in particular that tastes like Thanksgiving and that's my Grandma's Cornbread Dressing.  It's super easy and amazing and I'm going to share it with you.  She clipped it out of the Pensacola News Journal years and years ago.  I'll have to ask my mom if there's a time when she remembers a different dressing.  I've had a few mess up making it...one year, the eggs did weird and another year my mom sent me the recipe and substituted tablespoons for teaspoons of pepper.  That was the year my parents made a pit stop at an emergency room on the way home from Atlanta because my dad thought he was having a heart attack.  It was indigestion or maybe acid reflux from all of that pepper.  If you make it, let me know what you think! 

Grandma's Cornbread Dressing

4 cups of corn bread (the real kind, not jiffy)
2 cups dry bread crumbs
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
3 eggs beaten with 1 cup of milk
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 tbsp poultry seasoning

Saute onions and celery.  Mix all ingredients and pour into  a greased 13x9 pan.  Cook at 375 for 1 hour or until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment