Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

The Room Formerly Known as Blue

I would be remiss if I didn't start out this post with a complaint. It's been an ingoing complaint. The people who owned our house before us were idiots to the nth degree. They did so many stupid things in the name of home improvement. I discovered a new example when I was painting our storage/guest room (AKA the Blue room - can you guess what color it was???). The seams at the corners of the walls and at the ceiling have always driven me batty. Nothing is smooth. There are bumps and ridges. I decided long ago the only way to fix it was to paint the walls and the ceiling the same color to hide the imperfections. I've moaned about the fact that they didn't spend 10 minutes sanding to get everything smooth. Well, I now know why they didn't sand. They used silicone caulk to seal the sheet rock seams. You can't sand caulk. And I'm not talking a good caulk job. This is a messy horrible caulk job. These people loved caulk. They used it everywhere. Remember the hours I spent scraping silicone caulk out of my grout lines before I could regrout my bathroom. Arrghhhh...


OK, thanks for letting me get that out. I spent 2 days working and painting. Want to see???




I used the good, neutral Cottage White that's in our hallway. The ceiling was a bear to paint because there are 50 can lights (that might be a slight exageration). It took 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint to cover. The room feels huge and is ready to stage if we ever get orders. Oh, and it's also ready for visitors. Hint hint!


Next up...the basement bathroom which has messy, non-paintable (I know that because there's paint cracked ontop of it) silicone caulk everywhere! I'm giving myself a week to rest and then I'll be spending days scraping caulk before I can begin painting. The bathroom will also be cottage white, walls and ceiling, to hide all the imperfections.

2 comments:

  1. Great job on the painting!! I love that bench on the wall near the end of the bed. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, it's a Catholic church pew from a church in my home town. The pews were hand built/carved in Rome in 1910 and shipped to America. They are supposed to be replicas of the pews in the Vatican (I've never researched to know for sure). It used to be 8 feet, but we cut it down to 6 feet. It's one of my favorite things!

    ReplyDelete