Pages

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Why I Hate Halloween

Most people probably think I'm crazy when I tell them I hate Halloween. It's true and I'll say it again "I hate Halloween." Halloween is an evil, scary holiday. As a mom of young children, I hate the decorations I see in stores and in more and more front yard. The scenes are gruesome and scary. I don't want those things in my children's heads. I also think it's ironic that 364 days a year, we teach our children to not talk to strangers and to NEVER take anything from a stranger, but on the 365th day, it's okay to knock on a neighbor's door (do your really know Mr. Johnson that well?) and ask them to give you candy.

And then there's the candy. Seriously, does a child really need 5 pounds of candy? I know I inherited this part of Halloween from my Mom. She was a dental hygienist. One year, she passed out tooth brushes and tiny tubes of toothpaste. Can you imagine how popular our house was? Instead of trick or treating, my parents would take my brother and I out to dinner and then give us money to spend at Target. I'll have to ask my Mom how much, but in my memory, it was $20 and that was a lot of money in 1979.

I've carried on that tradition with my children. Sometimes we dress up. Today we didn't. My kids have dress up clothing available to them all the time so that's not a big deal. I must admit that I do offer to buy the kids a costume and take them trick or treating, but they know that their candy will go in the trash the second they walk in the door. I also offer dinner and money to buy a toy. We've only had one year where they picked trick or treating at a church's trunk or treat.

Today, after a nice lunch at Ruby Tuesdays (the kids favorite place) we spent 30 minutes wandering around Toys R Us looking for the perfect toy to spending their $15 on. For Caden it was Pokeman, for Jaelyn it was Zoobles and for Allie, what else but Polly Pockets and furniture for her doll house.

So, if you come to my house tonight, know that my porch light will be out. There will be no candy being passed out from my front door. And while your kids are climbing the walls from staying up late eating bags of candy and whining at you for more, my kids will be sleeping soundly in their beds dreaming of playing with their new toys.

2 comments:

  1. Sister, you are my twin!! We have never taken our kids out, but we passed out candy for a few years. After someone showed up at our door looking entirely realisiticly "murdered", I stopped even that. I don't want my little ones seeing that nonsense.

    We celebrate "anti-Halloween" night. I make a big tray of rice crispy treats, get a new movie, and allow the kids to sit on the floor of my room and gorge themselves on crispy treats while watching a movie. The rest of the house is dark and no candy is passed out here either. This was the 3rd year we have done that. They love it, since I NEVER let them gorge on anything any other time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another Halloween Hater here! :) I hate the dark scary 'stuff', I hate the confusing 'stranger' message, I hate the candy and I don't want to spend a small fortune on costumes. We had Movie Night (complete with yummy, HEALTHY snacks) instead. :) People look at me like I'm crazy too. :) I'm okay with that. - Jen (ChoosingJoy)

    ReplyDelete