Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Poor Fish

I told you I can't keep fish alive, right. Why in the world I let the kids get Betas, I don't know, but their fate was sealed the day we brought them home. I know I blogged about Jaelyn's fish, Moe, dieing. He was replaced by a very pretty aqua Beta named Moe the 2nd by me and Acorn by Jaelyn. I just can't call a fish Acorn. Fast forward a few weeks and Allie's fish has been spending a lot of time resting on the bottom of his tank just like Moe the 1st. I told Dan Monday night that I didn't think Duckie was going to make it much longer.

Duckie was fine Tuesday morning, but when Allie came home Tuesday afternoon she screamed when she saw his tank. "Mommy, Duckie is dead." Sure enough, he was on his side floating near the bottom of the tank. Tenderhearted Allie immediately burst into tears. I wanted to say "It's just a fish, get over it" but what I said was "I'm sorry Duckie died. I know that makes you feel sad." Aren't you proud of me? We flushed Duckie down the toilet and cleaned his tank. Then I had to explain to a sad little girl why she couldn't get another fish. I thought Moe's death with just a fishy fluke and that I could somehow keep the rest of the fish alive. Wrong. I am not going to keep buying fish just to kill them. I think that's the definition of insanity....doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results each time.

I'm afraid Chomper is going to be next. He's hanging out at the bottom of his tank like Duckie was. The good news is the kids will have really nice bug boxes next summer!

3 comments:

  1. You and fish...me and plants. I can't even keep a philadendron (no idea how to spell that) alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could get some pointers from Kristi on how to keep a fish! Helmer's going on about 16-17 years, I think! =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. meanwhile -- we have about a year and a half year old Beta -- I am so tired of cleaning out the tank....she is quite a trooper. I have even tried to give her away! LOL -- Becky Wilcox

    ReplyDelete