So I copied and pasted the kids stories earlier in the week, but I never sat down to share my thoughts. It's fun to watch their writing progress.
Jaelyn's biggest issue is phrasing. She writes things weirdly. She doesn't speak like that. I don't know why she writes like that. She hates when I make her read each sentence out loud. There's something about hearing it out loud versus in her head that's makes her understand why I'm telling her it sounds funny.
Caden is an amazing writer in his head. He can tell you everything he wants to say, but when you tell him "good, write it down," he struggles. With this, we worked closely with his detailed outline and we worked on simply getting each thought down as it came. Part of the problem is his tribute with physically writing and part seems to be getting it from his brain to the paper.
Allie can spend a page writing about something without saying anything at all. It would be funny if it weren't so sad. There were many reasons I wanted to bring Allie home and this was definitely one of them. Her opinion is short and to the point, but she and I spent a lot of time (and scrapped a lot of her work) to come up with something with substance. "It's off the chain, people," doesn't mean anything unless you are Mel B on America's Got Talent. Am I wrong?
Teaching writing....such a challenge!
ReplyDelete