Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

Jaelyn's Opinion Paper on Hamsters

Hamsters are the Best Pets Ever

Since I was little, I thought that having a hamster would be so cool. Whenever we went to the pet store, I always had my dad pick me up so that I could see all the hamsters.  When I was 10, I asked my dad if I could get a hamster. He said I could buy a hamster if I could be good for 3 months straight and save up the money. From then on, I was researching all about hamsters. Last year I saved up the money, I needed to own hamsters. I think that hamsters are the best pets ever!

Hamsters are not overly expensive. They don’t need to be walked so there’s no need to spend money on a collar or a leash. A hamster just needs a cage to live in. Hamster food only costs about $5 for a bag that lasts 2 months. They only need little sticks that you can get from outside and cardboard boxes that I get for free from the post office for chewing and scratching.

Hamsters don’t need large amounts of space. They only need a small cage that can fit in a bookcase. My hamsters are maybe 2 ½ inches at the most. My hamster supplies can fit in a small bin in my closet.

Hamsters are not that loud. A dog might bark and growl and a cat might meow and hiss but a hamster just quietly runs around its cage. I bought my hamsters a silent wheel and now I don’t hear a sound at night. When other animals eat or drink they might slurp or chew out loud, but a hamster just eats quietly.  

Hamsters are great pets to play with. I made a cardboard maze and put them in it. My hamster were so amazing to watch run throughout the maze. I put my hamsters in their balls and bring them down stairs to watch them roll all around my kitchen floor. Whenever I wear a jacket or long sleeves my hamsters race right up to my armpit. I have such great fun watching and playing with them.

Hamsters are the cutest animals ever!  The way that they twitch their noses like bunnies and rub their whiskers is just adorable.  When my hamsters eat they shove all their food in their cheeks and then their cheeks are fully loaded.  When I pick them up they spit it all out and their cheeks deflate like a balloon.  I carry my hamsters around on my shoulder like a parrot.  I just think it’s so cute.  Rats have long, ugly, pink tails, but hamsters either have little nubs like bears or little tails.  Their tails have fur on them so they are not ugly pink.  Hamsters have cute little black eyes that just make me want to kiss them.  They have great little feet that pitter-patter whenever they walk.

I was right. I have now had hamsters for 2 months and they are the best pets ever. To begin with, I got one, but I loved it so much that my grandpa took me back to the pet store to get a 2nd one. It is very easy for me to take care of my hamsters, catnip and basil. Hamsters are the best pets that the world has ever seen.



            

1 comment:

  1. Jaelyn,I enjoyed reading your paper. I'm glad that Catnip and Basil are doing good. They are lucky to have you to take care of them. Baba

    ReplyDelete