We have the perfect spots for a small vegetable garden outside our kitchen door. A few weeks ago, the kids helped me
The kids had a great time helping me plant tomato plants and green bean seeds. Sometimes they were too much help in such a small space, but I made it work.
We planted marigolds along the front of the bed in the hopes they will keep the deer away. I don't know if it's true or a wives' tale, but our last neighbor swore by them. I don't know if they'll keep out the bunnies, mole, fox, skunks, opossums and whatever other woodland creatures live around here too. I am guessing we'll have a chicken wire "fence" in our future.
Next up is this yucky space. I have plans for yellow squash and zuccini, but I haven't gathered enough energy to tackle the weeds. It's supposed to rain tomorrow. Thursday might be a good morning to pull weeds....or there's always container gardening. For such big plants, squash have small root balls so it could work.
We'll see. I've already made use of the cilantro I planted in a recipe last night. It's going to be fun to be able to pick a few fresh things for dinner during the summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment