Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Alton Brown Knows a Thing or Two


We shouldn't, but we love french fries.  I've only tried to make them from real potatoes once and they were a soggy, greasy mess.  Since then, I've thrown frozen fries in the oven.  I saw an Alton Brown Good Eats episode where he said the secret to crispy fries was to double fry them.   I gave it a try last week and he is right.  I used my handy dandy mandolin to cut the potatoes...oh mandolin, how I love thee.  Then I fried the potatoes at 320 until they were floppy.  I drained them and let them cool while the grease heated up to 375.  I fried them again until golden brown (well, mine were a little darker than that but I was going because my frying pan and the burgers on the grill).  They were crispy and while not healthy, definitely healthier than what comes out of a bag or comes from McDonalds.  They were so good, as a matter of fact, they are again on my menu tonight to go with pulled pork sandwiches.  Normally I fry maybe once every couple of months and now twice in two weeks.  Bad, bad, bad, but good, good, good!

No comments:

Post a Comment