Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Surprising Weekend

A few weeks ago my best friends husband asked me about surprising his wife. The church they were married in is being torn down and he wanted to take her back there one more time with friends by their sides. I also learned that my nephews would be at my parents house visiting so presidents day weekend seemed like the perfect time to head to Pensacola. Dan and the kids had a four day weekend so we left after school on thursday, spent the night in Arkansas and got there around dinner time on Friday. My parents were late getting back with the boys so I told a few fibs to my kids and made up a story about surprising Baba and gramps. Jaeyln, especially, couldn't understand why they'd go shopping and out to eat when they knew we were coming. I know, I'm a bad Mommy for my fibs. We turned out the light and jumped out at them when they came in the door. My kids were yelling because nick and Jared were there and nick and Jared were yelling because no one was supposed to be there. Even my mom was yelling because she forgot we were going to surprise them. It was awesome all around. I don't think we got anyone in bed until after 10 that night. Everyone was way too excited.

Saturday, I snuck off to do a little shopping with a Kohls coupon while the kids played. Then we had lunch with Dan's family. The kids always have so much fun playing with cousin Caleb.

Would you pray for Dan's Nana? Her bone marrow isn't working right. She's having to get a weekly shot to boost it along and get blood infusions every 3-4 weeks when her count gets bad. She doesn't feel good a lot of the time and she seemed really tired at lunch.

Next up was Jen's surprise. It didn't go quite as we'd expected but we had a nice dinner afterward and had a few good laughs while playing dicecapades.

Sunday, we got to see my Grandpa and Doris at lunch. It's always nice to get to spend time with him. He just turned 91 and he's doing great. He's starting to tell more stories. I love hearing about his childhood in Philadelphia. Doris always enjoys sitting on the porch, watching the kids play. Gracie loved running loose in the yard playing "zombie tag" with the kids. Apparently Gracie is a zombie and she has the power to turn you into one if she tags you.

The kids spent an hour or so playing with Jen's kids in the late afternoon and then we got to have some girl time over dinner and a quick trip around target. Oh how I miss target!

It was a great weekend. The only downside is the 700 mile trip home that we've barely started. Jaelyn has determined the we should move within 5 hours of Pensacola to make for perfect car trips to visit. I agree but it won't be happening anytime soon.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with jaelyn. We could do five hours with our eyes cloaed. Oh well, look forward to June. We enjoyed having everyone including Gracie and Zac. Love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete