Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

The Joy and Frustration of D-O-G


Look at that face...who wouldn't love it?  She's adorable, and so much fun.  She loves to go for walks and I've almost stopped her from pulling (with me anyway).  She loves to play fetch and run around the tennis courts with the kids.  Zac is even starting to play back.  We are enjoying having her...BUT she's also quickly approaching her "tween/teen" years.  Gracie has started chewing on everything (but the furniture thankfully).  She LOVES paper.  Anything on the craft table or kitchen counter is fair game.  And she thinks she's gone to Heaven if anyone leaves the bathroom door open.  She can unroll and shred toilet paper faster than a dozen toddlers.  Gracie's favorite toy, however, is a shoe.  She doesn't chew on them, well except for Jaelyn's flip flops, but she loves to carry them around and try to engage us in a game of chase.  I don't chase.  I shake the training treats, make her drop it, and then perform a variety of "tricks" before she actually gets a treat.  It gets so frustrating when I have to repeatedly stop what I'm doing to take things out of her mouth.  If only my family would pick up after themselves.  My job would be easier!

I'm ready to pull my hair out with potty training.  We'll have two weeks of no accidents, then as soon as I tell someone, she'll pee in the floor.  I don't really believe in jinxing, but I might start.  She's been accident free for about a week this time and then she pooped in the carpet this morning (and she'd already pooped).  She knew I was mad too because she put her head down on her paws.  I told her to "go to crate" and she tucked her tail and slowly walked the 82 feet with her head hanging down.  I was actually kind of proud.  All of my "crate training" efforts are paying off.

As a family, we are normally more on the go and we've stayed pretty close to home because she can't go longer than 4-5 hours in her crate.  It takes longer than that to get anywhere around here.  The kids have spring break in a few weeks and we are going.  I'm not sure where yet, but somewhere and DOG is old enough to get boarded.  I'm excited!

2 comments:

  1. How old is Gracie? With Tucker, we crate trained and it seemed like one day it just 'clicked'.... I think he was about 8 months old. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You aren't taking her with you?!?! Why ever not?

    ReplyDelete