Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Beer Bread

I feel the need to say that we are not drinkers.  I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with having a drink as long as you are not drinking to excess, but truthfully, I just don't like the taste of most adult beverages.  Mix in some fruity juice and ice and that's a different story ;). 

Anyway, one of Dan's friends from Maryland is here for a class.  We had him over for dinner last weekend and Dan bought a 6 pack of imported beer.  The left over bottles have been staring me in the face everytime I open the frig.  I made soup yesterday and it needed bread to go with it.  Recently, a friend posted about making beer bread on Facebook and it peaked my intestered.  I hunted on allrecipes yesterday and within thirty minutes, had my first loaf of beer bread in the oven.  It was marvelous and soooo easy.  I planned to take a picture of the left over heal of the loaf, but D-O-G grabbed it off the counter when my back was turned and snarfed it down as fast as she could.  Bad DOG!

Here's the recipe:

Beer Bread

Ingredients
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
  • 3 cups self-rising flour (if you only have regular old flour, add 1 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt for every cup of flour).  I used half wheat and half white flour
  • 1/3 cup white sugar

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, mix together the sugar and flour. Add beer and continue to mix, first using a wooden spoon, then your hands. Batter will be sticky. Pour into a 9 x 5 inch greased loaf pan.
  2. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees ) for 50 for 60 minutes. The top will be crunchy, and the insides will be soft. 

After reading the reviews, I brushed the loaf with melted butter after 30 minutes and then every 10 minutes until it was done.

5 comments:

  1. Bad dog! Yummy bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does the bread taste?

    The smell of beer makes me want to, um... well..., I don't like the smell of beer. Therefore I have been very hesitant about making recipes that call for beer.

    And yes, bad dog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like beer either. It's what I imagine pee tastes like. The bread had a good yeast/wheat flavor. I'm sure the flavor changes depending on what type of beer you use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "What pee tastes like??!!!". I literally burst out laughing!

    You never actually said if you liked the bread... I'm assuming that since you posted the recipe it must have been good. We have a few bottles of beer that a friend once brought over sitting in the garage. Hmmmm. I wonder if beer has an expiry date...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I stand corrected. I just found the word "marvelous" in there.

    ReplyDelete