There recently was a discussion on one of my message boards about parenting advice. Mine was pretty clique and simple "My advice would be to relax and try to enjoy everything. Everyone says kids grow up too fast, and it is so true. You sometimes spend those newborns, baby, toddler days and nights wishing for them to get a little bit bigger so your life will get easier. I did...it was all about survival mainly due to circumstances, but I wish I had been able to relax more and just enjoy my children and cherish every minutes." I have a lot of guilt related to my "survival mode." I missed the girls' newborn year and I wished Caden's away. Life was just hard and has continued to be hard for many years.
Now, I spend way too much time worrying about the details instead of just having fun. Part of it is my personality. I'm OCD (not clinical, but I like things a certain way). When my house is a mess, it's makes me brain a mess. I can't think; therefore, I feel the need to clean and pick up all the time. Well, the last 2 afternoons, I've left the 4 loads of laundry sitting sadly in their baskets and have taken the kids to the swimming pool. We've had a ball and you know what, as a friend said, the laundry probably enjoyed being in it's natural state :p. It was still there to fold while the kids had baths last night and if it hadn't gotten folded, was it really the end of the world?
What are you doing to cherish your kids today? Put down the laundry and leave the dishes for later. Just take a few minutes to enjoy your family! That's my advice for today!
No comments:
Post a Comment