Pages

Friday, September 12, 2008

Our Newest "Pet"

The kids have been making "bug buckets" all summer. They've been taking buckets and filling them with sand, dirt, bark, grass and flowers in the hopes that a bug will crawl into them to make a house. That hasn't happened, but it has kept them entertained. Well, yesterday, I found this little guy on our tomato plants. It seems kind of late in the season to be finding caterpillars and I'm not sure he'll make it, but we got an old pickle jar, punched holes in the lid and stuck him in it with some fresh leaves and water. I'm hoping we can keep him alive long enough to watch him because a beautiful butterfly (or maybe an ugly moth - who knows!)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a tomato hornworm.... which means ugly moth! Bummer!

    Jen (ChoosingJoy)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to wikipedia and I'd say you guessed exactly right, Jen. Thanks. As far as moths go, it'll be a pretty moth, if you like fuzzy brown. Oh well...it's still alive this morning, but it has pooped like crazy in the bottom of our jar. What up with that???

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH GROSS!!!!!!!!! Can I just state right here and now, that I HATE moths! There are very few creatures of God's that I find repulsive...but moths are my short list! Yuck.

    ---On a nicer note---Glad you all are enjoying him or her. lol.

    ReplyDelete