Dan's Grandfather, Daddy Doe as everyone called him, died last night. He was 91. Dan's mom, Joan, was by his side as he went home to Heaven. We are sad today, but also rejoicing because we have hope. I know that I know that I know where Daddy Doe is this morning. He's singing with the Angels in his new body that is whole. Daddy Doe was a character, full of life. He had a great sense of humor which Dan inherited.Daddy Doe was the first person in Dan's family who really made me feel like I belonged long before Dan and I made it official. The second year we were dating, Dan broke his ankle playing tag football at a BSU guy's night out. During a visit to the hospital, Daddy Doe and I rode the elevator up together. Another man he knew rode the elevator with us. He asked Daddy Doe if I was his granddaughter. At the exact same time, I said "no" and he said "yes." The man looked oddly at us and again at the same time, I said "no, I'm not" and he said "yes, she is." By this point, the man must have thought we were insane so I explained that I was his grandson's girlfriend. It felt good to be "claimed."
Another time at Nathan and Cathy's wedding, Daddy Doe got me really good. I was sitting in my pew by myself, minding my own business. The wedding started and Dan escorted his Nana in. I turned my head forward to watch them when all the sudden I was slapped in the back of the head (I'm sure it was a love slap). It was a good hit...knocking my head forward. Daddy Doe was walking up the aisle like he hadn't done a thing and all the people around were staring at me. I'm sure they were wondering what I'd done to him to make him hit me.
Dan will be flying home today while the kids and I stay here. I'm not sure about the funeral details yet. Will you please join me in praying for Nana and Joan and the rest of our family and friends as we say good-bye to a much loved Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather, Brother, Uncle and friend!
Daddy Doe, I love you and I will miss you!
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll be praying for y'all. Thanks for sharing your memories. The elevator story was hilarious. It sounds like he left a wonderful legacy. Love you,
ReplyDeleteJen
My thoughts and prayers are with Dan and you>>>Love G U C
ReplyDelete