Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2011

DOG and the Cat Toy

When Gracie is being good, she has many nicknames.  I call her Gracie, Gracie Mae, Mae Mae, Gracie Doodle, Gracie Mae Doodle and Doodlebug.  When she's being bad, she has one name...Dog.  Wednesday night, she was BAD DOG.  Gracie swiped one of Zac's cat toys.  It was a leather bird looking toy with a feathered plume tail.  I managed to pry her mouth open once (which is how I knew exactly which toy it was), but she clamped it shut before I could get a grip on the toy.  There was no way she was letting me have her prize.  She was actually growling at me and instead of letting me pry her mouth open again, she swallowed.  The toy went down whole in just a few gulps.  A friend told me it would take about 24 hours to move through her; so on Friday when it hadn't come out either end, we headed to the vet.  The vet xrayed her, but since I'm a good pet owner and don't buy them toys with metal in them, they couldn't see the toy in her stomach.  I left with directions to an emergency vet clinic in Springfield encase she had trouble over the weekend.  At 5:45 this morning, 84 hours later, I heard her throwing up in her crate.  Sure enough, she finally threw up the bird toy plus two plastic mice.  Hmmmm...Allie confessed to giving her the little mice when she was crying in her crate to make her happy.

Uhhh, what an ordeal.  Poor Zac has lost all toy privileges and the kids are going to lose small toys that they leave laying out.  And Gracie Mae is going to be spending even more time in her crate when I can't supervise her (especially since she CLIMBED out of her superyard two times in a row today).

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! I'm glad little Gracie was able to rid herself of the cat toys without surgery!

    At Christmas time a couple of years ago, my sister's cat somehow managed to swallow a sewing needle. My mom & sister made the 3 hour drive to the clinic my aunt works at for emergency surgery. We spent the rest of the vacation trying to get meds in the cat every 4 hours.

    ReplyDelete