Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Our First House Guests

We were so excited to have Dan's family come visit us this weekend.  It was a whirlwind trip for them. They drove a day and a half, spent 2 days with us and are driving a day and a half home.  Originally, Dan's Mom and Nana were coming.  Then Dan's Dad decided to come.  Finally our nephew Caleb had a few days off from school so we surprised the kids.  I wish I had thought to video the reaction when Caleb and I picked the kids up from school on Friday.  Allie ran to him screaming and threw herself into his arms.  It was priceless.  Caden was equally excited, but Jaelyn was very nonchalant with a "oh, hi Caleb."  She's so funny.


Friday evening, we played at our house.  The kids had a great Nerf war.


Jaelyn even used Nana as a defense shield.  It didn't stop Daddy from shooting at her though.  Poor Nana was stuck in the crossfire.  She didn't mind.  I think she loved sitting back and watching the commotion.



Grandmother, Caden and Granddaddy


Saturday morning we took everyone to Happy Hollow to throw rocks in the river and play on the playground.  It was a beautiful fall day.


Caden and Granddaddy


Caden and Caleb


My Monkey showed off her skills on her bars while Grandmother looked on.


Nana and her little buddy


After Happy Hollow, we drove up to Miller's Cave.  I was impressed that Larry hiked down with us.  Caleb had a few falls, but he did it! :)



Jaelyn and I walked a little bit down a different path to discover Sadie Cave.  It is indeed closed up tightly as people had told us.


As soon as fall rolls around, Dan is always insistent I get pumpkins so we can carve them.  It's a big deal to him.  This year, he kept reminding me to buy them so "Dad could carve them with the kids."  I always thought it was so important to him because it was a cherished childhood memory - wrong.  It's important to him because it was a memory missed.  Larry says he's never carved a pumpkin, until Saturday, that is.  I'm thrilled to report that Dan now has a memory of carving pumpkins with his dad.  The funny thing is for this "kids oriented activity," the kids were in the living room watching cartoons.


After a yummy lunch at Ruby Tuesday's, the family is on the road heading home.  Thank you so much for coming.  We loved having you and would love to have you visit again some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment