Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Bread

I've always thought it would be neat to make my own bread.  I've never done it though.  Well, this summer, I sort of bought/swapped a Kitchen Aid mixer - my first ever stand mixer.  I've been using it for cookie and pizza dough.  I saw bread flour at the store yesterday morning and got inspired.  As soon as I got home, I got out the old standard checkered cookbook and found a recipe for honey wheat bread.  I had it timed perfectly so I'd pull the bread out of the oven right before I had to leave to pick up the kids from school.  Unfornately, the first rise took longer than planned so by the time the second rise was done, I didn't have time to bake it before I had to leave.  I just let it keep rising while I got the kids.  We came home to bread dough over-flowing the pans.  Allie helped me punch it back down and get it in the oven after the third rise.


Here it is baking...it smelled soooo good.


It was yummy.  The kids kept commenting how it tasted just like Longhorn's bread.  I paired it with steaks, sweet potatoes and a salad.  It was better for us then eating out at Longhorn, but I had to wash all the dishes.  They do it for you at Longhorn!  We ate almost an entire loaf.  I sliced the second loaf to use for sandwiches.  I made the kids' lunch sandwiches on it.  I can't wait to hear their reactions this afternoon.

4 comments:

  1. RECIPE RECIPE!!! I want to make my own bread but get discouraged when it gets hard and the kids wont eat it.

    So if you have a few moments, love to have the recipe and all that you need to do to make it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMO! That pic of the bread looks like something out of a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kendra.

    Kiley, here's the recipe http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/old-fashioned-honey-whole-wheat-bread/8f5e8c9b-ccb6-432a-a296-7807b18574f0

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bread looks perfect! Kendra is right - like something out of a magazine!

    ReplyDelete