It's silly that I was so nervous for this meeting, but I was. My stomach was in knots. I was sure that the teacher, guidance counselor and assistant principal were all going to tell us Jaelyn is fine and that we are imagining all of her issues. I'm so glad Dan was able to go along for silent moral support and I do mean silent because he let me do all the talking and when they asked him what he saw, he basically said "What she said..." Silly man.
The meeting started with the guidance counselor asking us to tell them about Jaelyn and our concerns. I had my little list and went down my bulleted items. Mrs. D, her homeroom teacher, backed me up on every item. Her teachers are seeing exactly what I'm seeing. Instead of saying "she's just social," she said "we see attentive issues as well." Praise the Lord. Based on a test that's given to first and second graders, I learned that Jaelyn has an average IQ. I'm not sure how accurate the test is, but I'll take average...for now. When we looked at her performance, it matches up with that average IQ. The biggest issues are the focus and organization. There might be comprehension issues??? Or maybe it's the attention issues. It's something for all of us as a team to continue watching. We talked about ADD and ADHD. It may be what we are dealing with, it may not be. We are meeting again the end of February at the end of the current grading cycle. All of her teachers are going to fill out a Vanderbilt assessment for me to take to our pediatrician. I'm a little leery of medicine because of the side effects and some of the anxiety issues we already deal with, but then again, medicine has made a world of difference for Allie.
Overall, no real answers yet, but it's a first step and I'm happy that the school is receptive in investigating and helping us further!
sounds like you have a lot of support.
ReplyDeletegirlie, can you give more details as to what you see? for instance, one of my kidlets can pretty much restate things verbatim, but CAN NOT give you the basic idea. i wonder if it's a comprehension or a self confidence thingy.
ReplyDeleteFunny Dan! Edfy would have done exactly the same thing!
ReplyDeleteGlad you are on the road to solutions.