Today was eight hours in paradise. I spent it up close with the amazing stingrays and smelly fish at Discovery Cove. The rippling water froze my toes down to the bone as I stepped in. When I dove in, the shock took my breath away. The surprise of my first stingray made me breathe in the nasty, salt water through my snorkel. The shark fins scared me until I realized that the fins were just stingray wings coming up so they could turn corners to fly away from the kids swimming after them. When I chased after the rays to touch them, I realized that they felt like wet sponges with pricks on them. I noticed that they have their own special markings just like people do. When I saw their different markings, I was amazing because of how unique each stingray was. I talked to a guide who was feeding the stingrays, and got to feed seven of them. They made little buzzing sounds with their mouths because they were happy. She talked to me about their names and answered about fifty of my questions for me. Later it rained, and half the people at Discovery Cove left. After that, we had the stingrays to ourselves. There was a wonderful peaceful silence as I stalked the stingrays on the reef. When I grow up, I hope I can do it again. I think that you should stop by Discovery Cove and experience what I just experienced.
Sunday, September 21, 2014
Swimming with the Rays
I continue to be impressed with the kids' descriptive stories. When I push them hard, they are capable of amazing work. Here's Jaelyn's:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment