Pages

Monday, April 14, 2014

Spying and the Cherry Blossoms

Caden wanted one thing for his birthday...a trip to the spy museum with his Missouri friend, Sebastian.  Dan was able to take this Saturday off so his birthday finally happened (3 months late - I'm a horrible mom).  Turns out the Cherry Blossoms are in bloom; so we went in early to see them for the Cherry Blossom Festival.  The history behind them is pretty did.  Did you know they almost caused an international incident?  The first gift of tree from Japan where infested with some sort of insect so the whole lot had to be burned.  Thankfully, Japan didn't get their feelings hurt too badly and sent us more.  Many years later, the Japanese trees were hit with some sort of blight and we were able to send them babies trees that are descendants of the originals.  Neat story!



Did I mention how perfect the weather?  Clear, gorgeous skies, not too hot, not too cold.  Perfect.




The scaffolding is off the Washington Memorial.  It opens May 12th.  I can't wait to get tickets to go up it.  I've wanted to since my first trip to DC when I was 13.


We wandered into the Freer Art Gallery to use the restrooms and stuck around to look at ancient Chinese Jades and a Whistler collection.



I can't believe we've never gone in the National Archive.  Jaelyn is learning about early American history.  We are up to 1774; so I thought it would be the perfect time to go and see the Declaration of Independence in person.  No photography is allowed in the building so you'll have to enjoy the kids being silly waiting in line outside.  Did you know there's a typo in the Constitution...Alexander Hamilton spelled Pennsylvania wrong.  A neat little bit of trivia for you :).



And finally, it was time to meet our friends at the spy museum.  For the cost, it was pricey, but since everything else in DC is free, we didn't mind paying for one museum.  It was pretty cool.



After the museum, we had dinner at the Shake Shack (yummy if you ever get to DC).  We topped it off with an Oh My, Cherry Pie shake...which was really a piece of cherry pie blended into vanilla custard.  Oh my Word!  

We crossed the Mall on the way to the Botanical Gardens and stopped to fool around for the little bit. This is my absolute favorite picture of the day.  My crazy clowns!


We played and posed for pictures a little too long because the gardens closed at 5 as we got there.  Oh well, we still have one more trip into the city before we move.

They actually look like they like each other, don't they!  I should frame it because they don't look like this often!

No comments:

Post a Comment