Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pinterest Fail and Semi-Success

I love Pinterest.  I can waste hours reading recipes and looking at crafts and sewing projects.  I love all the pictures of twine easter eggs with candy inside.  It looks so easy.  Surely, the kids and I could make them.

It started out well.  We had very little trouble stuffing 6 hershey kisses in balloons and then wrapping them in Eastery colored, glue soaked twine (forgot the glue the first time so it's not in the picture).  Then we waited for the glue to dry.  In the meantime, I commented on Facebook about them and a friend asked if I'd used Vaseline on the balloons.  Vaseline???  The blog post said nothing about vaseline.  You know where this is going, right?  The twine dried beautifully...to the balloons.  When we popped the balloons, the twine easter eggs collapsed with them.  FAIL!



Our next Pinterest project was shirts.  We tried the sharpie and alcohol shirts a few weeks ago.  Jae's turned out great....the others, not so great.  I decided to buy shirts again since they were still 4 for $10 at Joann's and make them like last year with gel glue.  Everyone did so good on their designs.



We printed clipart and the kids drew over them with glue.


As soon as I tie dyed them I knew something wasn't right.  I didn't prewash them and I forgot to spray them with water before we put on the glue so it didn't absorb into the shirts totally.


Last year's shirts were white where the glue was and dyed every where else.  The dye seeped under or into the glue; although once I soaked out the glue and washed them in the washer to get out the excess dye, they looked much better.

Jae and I both put cats on our shirts.  We loved this guy hanging onto our backs!


This is the front of mine.



I think Caden's turned out pretty cool.  Boba Fett looks battle scarred just like he's supposed to.

I like Allie's too.  Barbie would probably look better all white, but she doesn't look bad with a little "color on her cheeks."  :)


I need to go hunting for a craft for tomorrow.  We are going to hang around the house again and then tour Mt. Vernon on Friday.  Hopefully, it'll be warmer.  The freeze last night (Dan swears he saw snowflakes again in the rain when he came home) was crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment