We had student led conferences at school yesterday afternoon. The kids tell you how they are doing, share some of the assignments and complete a few activities for you. There's also an opportunity to talk with the teachers and of course see their report cards.
I am impressed with some of the writing assignments I read.
Here's my favorite of Caden's. This is his version of a true story, but he got the people confused. It's based on Grandma Molly going into labor with Baba. I cracked up at the first line...of course, Grandma Molly was much younger and not a grandma yet :).
I remember Jaelyn doing this assignment last year. I think Allie is a great writer. I love her descriptive word choices.
I helped Jaelyn when she was writing this story. I think it turned out great!
I wish we had a Krispy Kreme close because we'd have about 3 dozen free donuts :).
Caden's report card is skills based. E stands for exceeds standards. M stands for meets standards. He has tested at third grade level for reading and math (he's in second grade). He's been independently reading Magic Tree house books lately. He's zipping through them in 2 nights.
Here's Allie's report card. She's doing really well and tested at a sixth grade level recently in reading. The computer test was multiple choice, testing comprehension and vocabulary. She tested at a fourth grade level the month before. The teacher wasn't sure why she had such a big jump and expected the next test to come down some...or maybe not. Time will tell. She does have a great memory. The M in art stands for mastered.
Here's Jaelyn's report card. She actually ended up with a 102 average in reading. I make her read 6 nights a week. She's only required to read 4 nights so she ended up with 70 out of 50 nights when her reading log was averaged in. She's still struggling in math. She just can't seem to memorize her multiplication facts. Her teacher tells me she's not alone. I think if she could master that, math would get much much easier for her. The SA in art stands for satisfactory due to the owl without the contour lines I mentioned in another post :).






Wow! Great job kids..and Momma.
ReplyDelete